Shorter display names look best for the faceted search and related sites. Try to keep names under 15 characters.
- USA.gov has multiple faceted topics, and a related site for Spanish.
Fonts & Colors
Use a background color on the header, page body, or both. For best results, use different colors for the header and body.
- Your background doesn't have to be a strong color. A light gray can provide subtle definition as seen on NIH.gov.
- A good, strong color for the search button can go a long way, as seen Kids.gov.
- Especially buttons with a contrasting accent color like on TreasuryDirect.
A logo that has both the seal and agency name can provide a stronger identity than a seal only or a name only.
The addition of a name can also give the same seal two very different identities.
Align your logo so its alignment is consistent with your website.
- NIH.gov has a left-aligned logo on both of its pages.
Header & Footer
Use the footer to add navigation and required links.